See German language version above.
WG Freelance Osteo-Anthropologists
In recent years the field of anthropology within the university system has been subject to a continuous process of dismantling. As a result, various opportunities for freelance anthropologists have arisen, particularly in cooperation with state offices for archaeology, private excavation outfits, and museums, all of whom are seeking the services of a competent partner for archaeological digs or consulting. The main focus of work is centered on the examination of human skeletal finds and cremated remains. Archaeometric analyses are also becoming an important aspect of the examination process. The term “Anthropologist” is not a protected professional designation and anyone can refer to themselves as such. The workgroup “freelance anthropology”, therefore, represents the interests of freelance working anthropologist to assure quality control and also to act as a contact organisation for employers.
- Presentation of standards for the examination of skeletal and cremated remains.
- Establishing practical methods for examinations that do not involve great technical effort or time consumption.
- Promoting the exchange of information gathered by experiences between freelance anthropologists.
- Strengthening the standing of freelance anthropologists as independent researchers.
- Initiating interdisciplinary cooperation with related fields such as archaeology, medicine, geology, botany, zoology etc.
- Public relations work.
Together, the workgroup members have created guidelines and a codex to guarantee a constant level of high quality for serious anthropological work. Members appear on a list and through their signature are obligated to abide by these guidelines and the codex.